March 20, 2011 § Leave a comment
It has been a week of reflection here in Casa Mia. This week marks the anniversary of my Nanna’s death. I have such fond memories of her when I was growing up and I feel sad that I will never again share toast soldiers piled high with butter and Marmite, she will never get to meet our children and a whole host of other moments that we will never have the opportunity to share.
Quite unconsciously and yet so obviously entwined, I took some time out this week to tidy my small sewing box that used to be hers. Showing how deeply I have ever dived into this box previously, I discovered a host of new design treasures to delight.
What really makes me smile is Nanna was hardly a domestic goddess – maybe that’s why my finds were remarkably unused!
March 15, 2011 § Leave a comment
Happy Tuesday everyone!
I have fallen in love with this studio! My crushes are often fickle but I think this might be a long-term affair! Who doesn’t need a wide vista to stretch their eyes after hours buried in some project or other?
Photographed by Patric Johansson via b for bonnie
Inspired by this workspace, this week’s temptations take on a timber lustre.
(From left to right)
- Who wouldn’t want to wake up to a little bit of nature above their heads? Apartment Therapy
- Dark and lovely! Hoping for some woodland wonder with this Alessia Semeraro necklace via Another Shade of Grey.
- Perfect storage containers from Merchant No. 4 via design crush
- Smooth ceramic and raw wood. What a delicious combination from Loyal Loot.
- I have a lonely-looking over-sized light-bulb that is just crying out to be up-cycled into this Dapper Llama lamp via creativadoration.
March 13, 2011 § Leave a comment
Well, I turn around and a week has already flown by without me even visiting here! In my other incarnation as the company director for Links for Change, a volunteer linking service, I have been flat out trying to get things under control before Pocket turns up.
To maintain some sense of self, I have been interspersing this with some jewellery making. So here’s my round-up of the weekend which has basically involved collecting materials and making things!
- Beautiful, but as yet useless, glass bubbles from the Vernissage which I think are for a Chinese therapy called ‘hot cupping’.
- Finally finding a use for all the brown paper bags our organic veg is delivered in by making my own recycled Jiffy bags (tutorial to follow soon).
- Hours of stitching for the latest additions to my jewellery collection (soon to be available to buy online!)
Other (unphotographed) activities:
- Packing my hospital bag for the birth (is it that time already?).
- Turning an old Ikea muslin curtain into drawstring bags (again, tutorial to follow) in the continuing quest for perfect packaging to accompany my jewellery.
- Reading sooooo many business books I think my head might explode.
- Thinking of everyone in and out of Japan affected by mother nature’s devastating power.
March 7, 2011 § Leave a comment
Happy Monday everyone!
This was not the only ray of sunshine seen this weekend. It was the kind of weekend I love: cold and crisp with a vivid blue sky.
Other things that warmed my soul this weekend:
- home-made, 100% organic pumpkin and carrot soup,
- exploring the decrepit back-streets of Yerevan,
- peeling paint on a park bench,
- getting my sewing machine fixed at the Vernissage through the power of mime,
- green leaves on my birthday plant,
- our lovely, but often elusive cats,
- bright red empty bins!
So, now my sewing machine is back on track, it’s back to work. New pieces to show you soon…..
March 3, 2011 § Leave a comment
Well, my last Weekend Round-Up post proved to be something of the blogging equivalent of a sun dance! Since then, the cloud has parted and every morning I have woken to sun steaming in through the curtains, giving me renewed impetus to get out of bed and get creative. Sadly, my sewing machine has other ideas and has decided to go on strike, putting my latest jewellery collection on hold. Whilst I resolve this technical problem, I thought I’d share the collection’s colour pallet with you all.
Hopefully, I will have some of the collection to show you when I get my machine back on track.
March 2, 2011 § Leave a comment
Well, it’s been a busy week here in Yerevan, and it’s only Wednesday! You may recall last week’s Monday Moodboard – all metals and fabric. Well, the first pieces of my new jewellery collection (name still to be determined – suggestions welcome) are complete. Yet to add them to my Esty shop but I though it was about time I unearthed some of my own creations.
These pieces are constructed from 100% recycled materials and each tells a little story of its past life….
Grey, fabric bangles with metal detail. Great individually but they also love company!